GeCla allows two players to compete; each player creates images that are to be classified by the other player.
At the moment, GeCla has two competition modes::
- Play using 1 computer - players A and B generate and classify alternately using the same computer.
- Play using 2 computers - in this case a shared folder which is acessible to both players must exist; this can be a folder on a local network or a folder of an online storage utility (eg: Dropbox - www.dropbox.com).
The game is divided into the following steps:
1. Initially, each player/team creates a predefined number of images with symmetry (rosettes, friezes or patterns);
2. in a second stage, each player/team classifies the images produced by the opposing player/team;
3. at the end, the program gives a score according to the classification performed.